How to Obtain Vital Records
How to Obtain Vital Records
The Embassy/Consular Section does not keep copies of the documents it issues, such as Consular Reports of Birth. These documents are filed in Washington. We also do not keep any files of Austrian civil documents, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc. Other records, such as birth certificates of people born in the U.S. are stored in the state of origin.
This page is designed to help you locate the vital documents you need. The Embassy/Consular Section cannot obtain documents on your behalf, and cannot provide translations of documents issued in German. We recommend, however, when writing to the Austrian authorities, that you request an international version of the document in question.
Documents that must be ordered from the State Department in Washington
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a document issued by the American Embassy or Consulate reflecting the facts of birth abroad of a child acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth through one or both parents.
- Report of Death of an American Citizen, a document issued by the American Embassy or Consulate reflecting the facts of death abroad of an American citizen. Request one of these documents from the Department of State.
Obtaining records issued by the Austrian Authorities
Records of birth, marriage and death are generally kept at the Austrian vital records office (Standesamt) where the event occurred. Most cities have websites at www.(nameofcity).at where you can find the contact information for the appropriate Standesamt and request a copy of your birth or marriage certificate. This usually has to be done in writing and as much information as possible should be provided, including proof of your identity.
- HELP.gv.at - search for agencies: select "Standesamt" in the drop-down menu and enter either zip code ("Postleitzahl") or name of the city ("Ort")
We recommend that you contact the Standesamt in question directly. You may use this form (pdf/17kb) for suggested language. Divorce decrees should be applied for at the court where the divorce took place.
PLEASE NOTE: Since November 2014, the request can be made to any Matriculation Office (“Standesamt”) in Austria.
Documents that must be obtained from a U.S. State
Vital Records are documents such as birth, death or marriage certificates. In the U.S., state, county or city governments, depending on location, usually hold such records. Here is some information to assist you in obtaining copies of such records.
Where to Write for Vital Records
Note: For your U.S. document to be accepted by the Austrian authorities, for example if you plan to get married, they also require that you provide an Apostille. This document gives you specific instructions on how to obtain the Apostille.
Fee-based on-line services that help obtain records
- One such service is VitalChek (800-255-2414), which allows you to request birth, death, and marriage certificates online, by phone, or by fax.
- Another service called U.S. Birth Certificate.net can help you obtain or amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, in addition to obtaining a birth certificate. You must have a physical street address to use this service (no APO's, FPO's, or PO Boxes).
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.