Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Living in Austria


Federal Benefits and Obligations

IRS Reminds Those with Foreign Assets of U.S. Tax Obligations

New IRS Regulation - Disclosure or Use of Tax Information by Preparers of Returns

Please take note of new regulations giving taxpayers greater control over their personal tax return information. New regulations under Internal Revenue Code Section 7216, Disclosure or Use of Tax Information by Preparers of Returns, became effective January 1, 2009. These regulations limit tax return preparers' use and disclosure of information obtained during the return preparation process to activities directly related to the preparation of the return. The regulations, along with supplemental Revenue Procedure 2008-35, contain the updated rules and requirements relating to disclosure and use of tax return information. These regulations apply to paid and volunteer preparers and the administrative staff that supports them. Failure to comply may result in criminal or civil penalties. See the IRS 7216 information page on for more details. Section 7216 Frequently Asked Questions are available at,,id=188398,00.html on

The Form 8938 (Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets) should be filed by taxpayers with specific types and amounts of foreign financial assets or foreign accounts. It is important for taxpayers to determine whether they are subject to this new requirement because the law imposes significant penalties for failing to comply.

Form 8938, the instructions, regulations implementing this new foreign asset report, and other information to help taxpayers determine if they are required to file Form 8938 is available on the web at:,,id=248113,00.html

U.S. Tax Assistance Information U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

There is no Internal Revenue Service in Austria.

For immediate assistance from a taxpayer specialist, you can call, fax or email the International Customer Service Site located in Philadelphia. The Service Site is open Monday through Friday, from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm EST. The customer service representatives there can be contacted as follows:
Tel.: [001] 267-941-1000 (not toll-free)
Fax: [001] 267-941-1055
E-mail inquiries:,,id=133197,00.html.

All inquiries must be in the English language.

Important Tax Information for U.S. Citizens Living Abroad (pdf/41kb) 

The IRS in Philadelphia can be reached at the following telephone number:
[001] 267-941-1000 (not toll-free).

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is your voice at the IRS. Our number is in your phone book and on our website at You can also call us at 787-522-8601. As a taxpayer, you have rights the IRS must respect in its dealings with you. Our tax toolkit at can help you understand those rights and how to protect them.”

Reporting Foreign Bank Accounts

The public may be unaware of their obligation to report their foreign bank accounts to the Department of the Treasury. Recent news events have highlighted foreign bank account reporting. While there are many legitimate reasons to own foreign financial accounts, there are also responsibilities that go along with owning such accounts. Foreign account owners must remember that they may have to report their accounts to the government, even if the accounts do not generate any taxable income. The link below provides information for filing a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Account, Form TD F 90-22.1, which is better known as the FBAR form.

For more information regarding reporting foreign bank accounts, please visit,,id=148845,00.html

Yearly Exchange Rate is Euro 0.784 to US $ 1.00

Exchange Rates

The United States Internal Revenue Service has no official exchange rate and accepts any posted exchange rate that is used consistently.

For exchange rates, please check: Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rates

For additional exchange rates, check the U.S. Treasury website or other commercial sites such as The IRS requires that all income be reported in U.S. dollar equivalents. Taxpayers generally use the yearly average exchange rate to report foreign income that was regularly received throughout the year. If you had only a few foreign transactions on particular days, you may prefer to use the exchange rates of those specific days.

Tax Forms via the World-Wide-Web:

Internal Revenue Service

For local assistance, inquirers may wish to refer to the following private services to U.S. citizens abroad (Please note that the Embassy can take no responsibility for their performance. Clients should inquire about the fee before engaging an adviser.):

In the United States:

Artio Partners, CPAs & Advisors
980 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611
Tel.: (312) 235-2167
Fax: (312) 253-7617

244 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10001
Tel.: (212) 465-2528

I.J. Zemelman, EA
Taxes for Expats
121 Madison Ave, New York NY 10016
Tel: (646) EXPAT-US (397-2887)

Mr. Itzhak Cohen CPA
30 East 9th Street Suite 3N
New York, New York 10003
Tel.: (212) 979-8585
Fax: (212) 979-1515

Ms. Sherry von Klitzing
Business and Marketing Consultant
7508 Portbury Park Lane
Suwanee, GA 30024
Tel.: (770) 696-2311 (office) or (239) 297-2200 (cell phone)

Mr. Arthur J. Lieb, CFP
3704 Sleepy Hollow Road
Falls Church, VA 22041
Tel./Fax: (703) 941-1816

Online Taxman
347 Fifth Ave, Suite 1402-171
New York, NY 10016
Tel: (855)-682-9626
Fax: (815) 550-8651

Randall Brody, EA (Enrolled Agent), MBA, CCP
Tax Samaritan
4894 W. Lone Mountain Rd #164
Las Vegas, NV 89130
Tel: (702) 350-1050

American Tax Group
10738 Huron Street, A-406
Denver, Colorado 80234
Tel.: (720) 343-0025
Fax: (720) 302-2836

Tax Samaritan
6616 Ruddock
North Las Vegas, Nevada 89084
Tel.: (702) 350-1050

In Germany:

Mr. Dominic C. Ferguson E.A.
Ferguson Consulting International Limited
Goethestrasse 58
10625 Berlin
Tel.: [+49] 30 3136056
Fax: [+49] 30 3136061
U.S. Tel.: [+1] (888) 549-1116
U.S. Fax: [+1] (775) 205-8478

Ms. Ines A. Voigt
Certified Public Accountant
Am Borsigturm 40
13507 Berlin
Tel.: [+49] 30 43774055
Fax: [+49] 30 43774054

In Switzerland:

US Tax & Financial Services
Löwenstrasse 28
8021 Zürich
Tel.: [+41] (0) 44 387 80 70

In France:

Ms. Marika Gibson, Director
Gibson Expatriate Tax Services
Tel.: [+33] 1 426 427 95
Fax: [+33] 1 426 427 17

In Spain:

Mr. John G. Kearins CPA JD
Avenida Baviera 9
Madrid 28028
Tel.: [+34] 91 726 2151

Personal taxes are levied on worldwide income for persons who are residents of Austria. For purposes of taxation, any person regardless of citizenship is considered a resident if living in Austria for more than half a year. General information from the Austrian Federal Ministry of Finance is available online at

In general, for non-residents, only income earned in Austria is subject to Austrian taxation. 

There is a convention between the Republic of Austria and the United States of America for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income, which entered into force February 1, 1998. The text (in English and German) is available at (pdf/162kb)

More detailed information on taxation in Austria may be obtained directly from the Austrian Federal Ministry of Finance, Abteilung IV/4, Himmelpfortgasse 3, 1010 Vienna.