Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Non-Immigrant Visa Section

The following provides information for travelers to the United States who wish to visit, work or study for a temporary period. The type of visa required will depend on the purpose of the travel.

Please note that a U.S. visa allows the visa holder to travel to a U.S. Port of Entry (an airport, for example) and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security immigration inspector to enter the United States. A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States.

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) & ESTA

Many travelers seeking to enter the U.S. for business (B-1 visa) or tourism (B-2 visa) for less than 90 days will be eligible to travel to the United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

A visa is required for anyone who is not eligible to enter the United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) or whose registration has been denied under ESTA.

Personal Interview

Nonimmigrant visa applicants aged 14 to 79 are required to schedule an appointment for an interview with a U.S. consular officer.

Applicants under the age of 14 or those aged 80 or over may be eligible to apply for a visa by mail. Applicants aged 14 to 79 applying for diplomatic (A-1 & A-2) and official/International Organization (G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4) visas are not required to appear in person for an interview with a consular officer. C-3 visa applicants who are accredited officials are also exempt from the interview process.

Visa Application Procedures

Other Information

Visa Hotline

  • Visa Information/Visa Application Appointment hotline
    (Live Operators): Tel.: (0043) (0)72011 6000
    Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 8:00 pm (local Austrian time)
    For callers from the U.S., Tel.: 1 (703) 520 2562
    Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 3:00 pm EST

    Visa Service Contract Partner:
    Contact information

Please Note

New Website

  • new J-1 visa website New J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program website launched