Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Living in Austria

Notes on Obtaining an Austrian Visa

U.S. citizens who intend to remain in Austria for a period exceeding 90 days or who wish to be gainfully employed in Austria must obtain an Austrian visa. Please note that the visa-free travel is limited to 3 months out of any 6 months within the entire Schengen territory.

Caveat: The United States Embassy in Vienna, Austria, is not licensed to practice law in Austria or to give legal advice concerning Austrian law and regulation. The following information is provided as a simple guide to assist U.S. citizens in understanding the basic focus of Austrian residence requirements. Neither the authors of this guide nor the U.S. government take any responsibility for any omissions, errors, or misstatements that might be contained herein. Readers of this document are directed to use this information only at their own risk and are counseled to rely upon the guidance of Austrian officials or their own personal attorneys when making decisions involving Austrian residency laws and regulations. Information and forms ("Formulare") are available on the Interior Ministry's homepage: "Aufgabengebiete - Niederlassung und Aufenthalt," and on the homepage of the MA 35: "Aufenthaltsrecht - Formulare und Informationsblätter ." You may also wish to consult the Austrian Embassy website for their very useful information.

Austrian Embassy
Consular Section
3524 International Court NW
Washington D.C. 20008-3035
Tel.: (202) 895 6767
Fax: (202) 895 60
E-mail:, (Consular Section)

List of Austrian Consulates in the U.S.

U.S. citizens may request a visa that will permit them to stay beyond 90 days or to work in Austria by applying for such a visa prior to traveling to Austria at an Austrian Embassy or Consulate General or by applying in Austria before their 90-day stay has expired.* Work is not authorized until the appropriate visa has been obtained.

*) To apply locally in Vienna, see Ansprechpersonen in der MA 35 (PDF 64 KB). For those who wish to take up residence in a different Austrian province, please go to:

When applying in Austria, please note that the application does not automatically prolong the right of stay beyond the allowed 90 days, if the processing of the residence permit takes longer. (Note: Applications for residence permits may take up to six months to process.) Specifically students attending a college/university in Austria should consult with the Austrian Embassy/Consulate before coming to Austria to find out if they should apply for a residence permit from outside of Austria.

On May 15 Austria started collecting fingerprints from all visa applicants in the U.S.  Students who participate in an academic exchange program or a Fulbright program AND who do not reside in Washington, D.C., New York, or Los Angeles may submit their visa application in Munich/Germany, Bratislava/Slovakia, or Ljubljana/Slovenia after arriving in Austria. If the person has no visa, Austria must be the first point of entry into the Schengen area.  For more information, please see Fulbright students and scholars, should contact the respective program officer at the Fulbright Commission:

Among the documents to be submitted by first-time applicants is a police record certificate. For information on how to obtain a police record from the local police in the U.S. or the FBI, please see Criminal Record Checks for U.S. Citizens and Foreigners.

For criminal record check information, please see Criminal Record Checks for U.S. Citizens and Foreigners.

Proof of health insurance will also be required (Austrian Insurance Association: Current Health- and Accident Insurance for foreigners with visa).

Please Note: Austrian government offices will require an "APOSTILLE" authentication on documents presented with visa application, please see Apostille.

Effective July 1, 2011, new legislation set the conditions of entry and residence for the purposes of highly qualified employment and other skilled employment. Under the new Red-White-Red Card model, individuals need a respective job offer; applications will be processed according to specific selection factors and in coordination with the local labor authorities (Arbeitsmarktservice). (Einreise, Aufenthalt, Arbeitspapiere) (Download und Formulare)

More information is available at:

More Information